Why grow Camellias
- Flowers all Spring, and even some in autumn and winter. Always more buds opening as the first fade or drop off.
- Glossy evergreen leaves look good all year and make good screen / sound break.
- Not fussy about soil. Not the same as rhododendrons.
- Resist summer droughts really well.
- Do well in sun or shade and against walls, even North facing.
- Hardy throughout UK, though frost damages flowers and beware cold winds.
- Flourish in London and town gardens. They love the shade, high walls and heavy soil in the gardens of London's terraced houses.
- Need little or no attention to do well year after year.
- Can be clipped, pruned and trained to the shape and size you want.